A reception can either be the best part or the worst part of a wedding, and no amount of planning will dictate the outcome. Sometimes even when the wedding is painstakingly planned, variables beyond our control can ruin the whole day. That is why it is important to focus on having fun, because if having fun is your main goal nothing else will matter that day.
People offering unsolicited advice to a new bride will usually tell her to relax. This bit of wisdom usually falls on deaf ears, because every bride wants her big day to be perfect. Creating an atmosphere of fun automatically alleviates stress and tension. Once you have the food and music figured out, focus on making your day joyous by using original and creative ideas.
Here are several original ideas to incorporate into your big day:
- Rent giant game boards like Scrabble or checkers
- Create personalized cornhole boards using you and your spouse's pictures
- Create mad libs for your guests to complete, using their own words to describe your history
- Make a task list for your guests to complete, with the goal being you and your spouse kiss. This makes an interesting spin on the clanging glasses tradition.
- Set up a karaoke machine with a book of you and your spouse's favorite songs
- Have a table filled with crayons, coloring books and fun card games for the children
- Put disposable cameras on your tables and encourage people with riddles, making each riddle end with a special picture
- Arrange a scavenger hunt for the lag time in between ceremony and reception
Incorporating a handful of these ideas will take your wedding from a formal affair to a fun party, and you will be able to focus on the important things, like the food and cake.